Friday, June 10, 2011

Mon Jardin des Plantes



Friends, don't be jealous!  I have a container garden (raising the roof - you can't see me, but I'm doing it).  That's right, this is the kind of crap Desperate Housedaughters get excited about when they don't have things like jobs and boyfriends. 

Please voila my gorgeous lettuce container:


Also, please enjoy one of the members of my herb garden:


Mr. Mint has been repotted to a much larger container since this picture was taken, and let me tell you, it is satisfying to have a little jardin des plantes on my deck.  Iranians eat herbs by the handful (as opposed to delicately sprinkling them over meats and veggies like white people), so it'll be great to grow piles and piles of mint and basil for us to eat. 

Container gardening is kind of cool, even posh!  I like the idea that it's not in my yard where I'd have to do things like weed the garden and fend off bunnies (one of my friends has a gorgeous outdoor garden and tells me all kinds of tales about squirrel/tomato robberies), and I also like that sweet Fatty can go luxuriate her fat self underneath the shade of the Heliotrope. 

I will say, though, that the number of strange and somewhat unattractive insects I've encountered on the deck throughout the potting of said garden is ICKY.  I will spare you photographs, but suffice it to say that adult jumping spiders are approximately tarantulas that are the size of a quarter.  And about an inch tall.  YEAH.

Do you all keep container gardens?  If so, what do you grow?  I need an excuse to go to Home Depot and buy more potting soil so the cutie dude there can carry it out to my car for me.

4 comments:

  1. I've got some spinach growing on my porch, as well as some flowers, lemon verbena, rosemary, and lemon thyme, oh and strawberries. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just about to make some little comment about what good this was going to do, you don't even like to cook! But apparently.. you won't be cooking these, so nevermind! Enjoy su jardin de plantes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have two aerogardens! I love them. I'm crap at gardening, so they do all the work for me. I just decide what to plant and that's it. They're indoors, so they give me a little plant life inside and function as lights too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have an aerogarden which we use just to start the plants in the spring. We have planters outside with basil, thyme, oregano, parsley and cilantro. We also have big boxes for tomatoes, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. We have the plain old garden for cucumbers, peppers, green beans, snap peas, lettuce, radishes, carrots, and some other stuff which may or may not actually yield foodstuffs. Also some pumpkins.

    A note about mint - it is horrifyingly evasive. I got a packet of seeds 30 years ago and those original plant's children and grandchildren took over my parent's backyard and have made some moves on my own garden and flower garden. Keep that sucker away from any place it can put down roots outside.

    ReplyDelete